Thursday, February 11, 2016

Remember Him Always

Every Knee Shall Bow - Oil on Canvas, by J. Kirk Richards [1]

This week and last week we have been studying the Helaman chapters, which have become new favorites of mine. As I read these Helaman chapters, I recognize myself in the verses detailing the wicked who have forsaken all that the Lord has done for them. I need to work harder at remembering the Lord each day, after all, I covenant each Sunday as I take the sacrament to "always remember Him." I don't want to treat that sacred ordinance as rote, but more as the sanctifying blessing it is. As I have studied the Lord's rebuke in Helaman 12, [2] I have written down some resolutions that I can personally practice that will help me remember Him and my daily hourly need for His guidance:

  • Expressing gratitude: when I am diligent in expressing gratitude to my Father in Heaven and all He has blessed me with, I am much more aware of His hand and power in my life. If I strive to express more gratitude it will help me remember that all of the good in my life comes from Him. 
  • Be more intentional in recognizing my reliance on Him and showing humility in realizing how much I need His guidance, this will come through prayer especially, but also in taking time each day to acknowledge my dependence on the Lord.
  • Serving others and being willing to do all that the Lord asks of me. This will manifest as magnifying my calling, sharing my talents, doing my responsibilities in sharing the gospel, visiting teaching, caring for my fellow man in need, feeding the missionaries, attending the temple, etc. There are countless ways each day that we can do the Lord's work, but I tend to fill my days with things that only serve myself. I think if I can focus more on waking up each day and asking the Lord what I might do that day to serve Him, my day will instead fill with remembering Him always. 
  •  Reading the scriptures daily really does help me remember Him. If I can strive to read even just a little bit each day of my life, it will help me feel closer to Him and the words I read will be influential reminders of the great power I receive from Him.
I am so grateful for my loving Heavenly Father and for my Savior Jesus Christ, who bore my sins, my griefs, my heartaches so that when I fall, I can repent and lean on Him for strength. I want to live my life in a way that glorifies Him so that at that last day I can be counted on his right side.

[1] Every Knee Shall Bow by J.Kirk Richards
[2] Helaman 12

No comments: