Monday, February 1, 2016

Mothers Who Know

Back in 2007, Sister Julie B. Beck, then the Relief Society General President, gave a powerful talk titled "Mothers Who Know" [I]  in which she spoke about the eternal and powerful influence of motherhood. This talk has greatly influenced me as a mother because it impressed upon me the importance of my role as a mother to teach and instruct my children in the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Sister Beck referenced the 2000 Stripling Warriors, from the Book of Mormon, who were valiant, courageous, and strong. In Alma 53:21 [II] it reads, “Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him.” These faithful young men paid tribute to their mothers. In Alma 56:48 [III] they said, “Our mothers knew it.”

One of my favorite quotes from Sister Beck's talk emphasizes the strength our youth need in this world filled with temptations of every kind:
"The responsibility mothers have today has never required more vigilance. More than at any time in the history of the world, we need mothers who know. Children are being born into a world where they “wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Ephesians 6:12). However, mothers need not fear. When mothers know who they are and who God is and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children."
I know that there is so much more I must do to prepare my children to withstand the evil forces of this world. I can do better, and I must do better. I want my children to know that I know, so that I can influence them for good.


I. "Mothers Who Know" by Sister Julie B. Beck, October 2007 General Conference 
II. Alma 53:21
III. Alma 56:48

No comments: