Saturday, March 26, 2016

Easter Reflections

The Burial of Christ, by Carl Bloch

It is the eve of Easter and my heart is full, overflowing, with love, appreciation, and deep gratitude for my Savior and the possibilities He provides me; repentance, forgiveness, eternal life. How can I ever repay Him? The fact is, I can't. I cannot offer Him anything that is equal to His offering to me. I will always fall short and be indebted to Him, but I will also continue trying my best to repay Him, by striving to live a good life, serving others, and showing Christ-like love to my fellow man.

I have been thinking a lot lately about why difficult things happen to good people; people who try to do the right things, people who serve others. It's a silly question really, especially on the Eve of Easter. Our Savior Jesus Christ was the best person to ever walk the earth and yet, even He faced the most difficult thing imaginable. He faced all of our difficulties. ALL of them! Whenever I ponder on the atonement, my mind begins to feel overwhelmed because of the depth and intensity that He surely experienced. I imagine that I can't even scratch the surface of understanding. What He did in the Garden of Gethsemane, and then at Golgotha is beyond my capability for understanding. So, I choose to be grateful. Grateful that He lived his perfect life, and gave me an example of how I should strive to live. Grateful that He is merciful and forgiving and comforts me when I stumble over and over and over. Grateful for His unconditional love.

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.

Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.

I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet

-I Stand All Amazed, Hymn #193




Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
-John 15:13

No comments: